Company: Republic Steel
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Republic--Steel is North America's leading supplier of Special
Bar Quality (SBQ) steel, a highly engineered product used in axles,
drive shafts, suspension rods and other critical components of
automobiles, off-highway vehicles and industrial equipment.
Republic's steel goes into everything from bicycles and hand tools
to bulldozers and automobiles. Odds are you've seen our steel at
work. Position Summary: This position is responsible for all areas
relating to financial accounting management including developing
and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to
ensure accurate and timely financial statements, supervises
accounting staff and manages the team to ensure that work is
properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate
- This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of
accounting activities including general ledger preparation,
financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of
budget and forecast activities. Departmental Expectations of
- Adheres to Republic's Policies and Procedures.
- Drives for results and success. Inspires a sense of urgency in
responding to opportunities and issues.
- Champions Republic's Core Competencies and instills the same in
- Challenges the status quo and champions continuous
- Works to achieve standards of excellence with our work
processes and outcomes. Produces and delivers quality results.
- Presents positive solutions to organizational challenges
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude.
- Communicates regularly with Vice President, Finance & IT, about
Department / Organizational issues.
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and has the
ability to prioritize workload.
- Meets productivity, quality, efficiency, and continuous
- Consistently works in a manner that demonstrates commitment to
safe working practices and good housekeeping (5S) within the work
area. Essential duties and responsibilities which must be performed
in order to carry out the position purpose summarized above:
- Directs and manages staff: selects, hires, trains, coaches,
evaluates and assures performance goals are met. Maintains positive
employee relations, an atmosphere of teamwork and cross-training
and sets performance improvement objectives, as needed.
- Manages departmental/area budget; monitor and control
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws, labor agreements,
accounting, and corporate
- Oversees and performs monthly reconciliations; analyzes various
G/L accounts and balances all inter-company transactions
- Processes all monthly journal entries and assists in
preparation of monthly G/L expense accruals
- Assists in preparation of annual budget and operating plan
- Manages day-to-day functions of accountants; liaises with
Accounts Payable (A/P) and Accounts Receivable (A/R)
- Supervises the general ledger group; ensures all financial
reporting deadlines are met; trains staff as required
- Handles personnel issues relating to staff conflicts,
absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Works with each direct report to establish goals and objectives
for each year; monitors and advises on progress to enhance
professional development of staff
- Supports audits and related processes; liaises with internal
and external auditors; provides information as required
- Oversees and handles SOX compliance for area of
- Obtains and maintains thorough understanding of financial
reporting and general ledger structure
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end
- Ensures the timely reporting of all monthly financial
- Supports budget and forecasting activities
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient
procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of
- Advises staff regarding handling of non-routine reporting
- Responds to inquiries from VP, Finance & IT, and other
executives/managers regarding financial results, special reporting
requests, etc. that generally fall within the scope of this
- Works with finance staff to ensure a clean and timely year-end
- Assists in development and implementation of new procedures and
features to enhance workflow of department
- Supports VP, Finance & IT, with special projects and workflow
- Collaborates with the other finance department managers to
support overall department goals and objectives
- Abides by all safety procedures and practices applicable to
location and position; participates in appropriate safety training;
demonstrates commitment to and support of EH&S principles and
values; champions safety as necessary
- Performs other duties assigned by management that fall within
the generally expected scope of this position
- Establishes and enforces departmental policies and
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement; prioritize
projects and assign staff. Follow-up and keep management advised of
- Serves as a member of the Finance Management Team,
participating in the development of departmental policies,
practices, procedures and providing assistance as required
Qualifications: Specific knowledge, training, or skills required to
perform the duties of this position. Specific concepts, courses,
training programs or required certifications:
- Demonstrated understanding/knowledge of general accounting
principles, practices, regulations, and procedures typically
acquired through a Bachelors Degree in Accounting/Finance.
- Requires a current CPA license.
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years' relevant work experience; minimum 3-5
years' supervisory experience
- Expertise in US GAAP, FASB, Sarbanes Oxley, and similar
regulations and requirements
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial systems;
financial systems implementation experience and knowledge a
- In-depth knowledge of business, Company policies, rules,
regulations, processes and procedures, including parent company
policies, processes and procedures
- Excellent analytical skills and abilities; multi-task person;
project management skills
- In-depth understanding of financial reporting and financial
- Customer focus including the ability to speak diplomatically;
- Ability to manage, motivate, coach and work with others to
- Excellent computer skills, including ability to easily use MS
Office suite, process flowchart software, various email, internet,
and other programs; proven ability to generate excellent
informational reports and presentations; ability to create and
- Interpersonal skills: ability to relate to all types of people;
trust and integrity. Ability to process high volume confidential
and accurate information.
- Basic human resource skills such as training, interviewing,
hiring, safety, performance management, compensation, benefits and
- Demonstrated team and individual leadership skills.
- In-depth ability to negotiate and problem solve with outside
- In-depth computer skills: data management and retrieval; word
processing; spreadsheets, email and internet.
- Written and oral communication skills; ability to write,
implement, and train policies and procedures.
- Problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to process high volume confidential information.
Essential Physical Demands and Working Environment:
- Ability to see, communicate, hear and utilize electronic
- Office work environment; incumbent occasionally subject to
plant working conditions (hazardous, subject to weather and
temperature extremes). Previous experience that is necessary
background to qualify for this position:
- Experience in a large organization - multi location /
multi-national, union contracts. Moderate project management and
systems improvement experience.
Keywords: Republic Steel, Canton , Finance Manager, Executive , Canton, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!